Feel free to contact us if you are looking for specific leisure activities, have wishes about what the International Welcome Center could organise or if you would like to organise something for yourself and others.
Several times a year, the International Welcome Center of the University of Rostock and the Welcome Center Region Rostock invite
- all international doctoral students and researchers,
- new arrivals in Rostock
- as well as their friends, family and interested parties
to the Regulars' Table. This offers the opportunity to simply spend a nice evening in a group of like-minded people from different areas and to exchange views on various topics such as life in Rostock, own projects, networking or career opportunities.
An important part of a stay abroad is cultural exchange. In order to reflect on one's own culture and to get to know the "country and its people" in Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and beyond, the International Welcome Center organises cultural events and excursions at irregular intervals together with network partners.
Education and Networking
In the event area of education and networking, the International Welcome Center would like to offer you educational opportunities and support you in (professional) networking with actors from the local economy and with other members of the university and from its associated institutes.
We, the International Welcome Center, would like to invite you to a another joined trip to a museum! This time we’re going to the PhanTECHNIKUM in Wismar on July9th . We want to give you a chance to get to know other Internationals, while exploring a (possibly) new city. The PhanTECHNIKUM is an interactive museum on the topic of technology. Take a look at their website to get insight on the different exhibitions (https://tlm-mv.de/english/). Wismar can easily be reached by train, which is why we will take the train from Rostock Hauptbahnhof at 09:06am on track 10. We’ll be at PhanTECHNIKUM at around 10:45am and spend approximately 2,5 hours there. After that, we can grab some lunch and take a stroll through the beautiful city of Wismar. Depending on everyone’s wishes, we could take the train back home to Rostock around 5pm or later.
A singular trainticket is around 8 EUR, but if enough people join, we can buy a cheaper group ticket. The ticket for the museum is 10 EUR for adults, 6EUR if you have a student ID!
Feel free to bring friends, partners, kids!
Registration is not needed, see you at Rostock central station
Picknick at Ulmencampus
The sun is starting to come out and we want to use the great May weather to get to know each other some more. Join us on a little picknick! Please bring some snacks and drinks for yourself and if you want, for some others to try too. Maybe you would like to introduce people to something typical from your home country or culture?
- Date: 17th of May
- Time: 6pm
- Location: grass area between the buildings at Ulmencampus (Ulmenstraße 69)
- Registration: until 15th of May to firstname.lastname@example.org
Trip to the Ozeaneum Stralsund
Join us for our day trip by train to Stralsund!
We want to explore the Ozeaneum and the city and get to know each other. Departure is at 9.00 am from Rostock main station. Once we arrive in Stralsund, we will go straight to the museum. Afterwards there is the possibility to explore Stralsund alone or together. We will return to Rostock in the late afternoon. Bring your friends, partners and children!
Dear international PhDs, postdocs and visiting scientists,
we are glad to invite you to our next “Stammtisch” (regular table) on Thursday, January 19th. It will take place in Restaurant Käthe at Barnstorfer Weg 10 again.
We'll meet at 7 p.m.. Please be there on time.
Please tell us if you intend on coming and feel free to bring your friends :)
We look forward to seeing you!
Your International Welcome Center Team
- Date: Thursday, January 19, 2023, starting 7 p.m.
- Place: Restaurant Käthe (Barnstorfer Weg 10, KTV)
- Language: English, German, as you like
- Participation fee: none
- Target group: international guest scientists, doctoral candidates, postdocs, family and friends
- Registration: To reserve enough seats, please let us know if you will be coming.
Christmas Market Tour
On December 7th starting at 6 p.m. we want to use the opportunity of having one of the most famous and beautiful Christmas markets in Germany right on our doorstep and have a cosy evening stroll through the market.
You will have the chance to connect with other Internationals, as well as enjoy everything the christmas market has to offer!
We’re looking forward to seeing all of you there and feel free to bring partners and/or friends!
- Date: Wednesday, 7 December 2022,6 p.m.
- Place: Meeting point will be right next to the Kröpeliner Tor (in front of the KTC entrance at Pizza Hut).
- Participation fee: none
- Registration: No registration. Just come along.
Living and working in Germany - Intercultural training for international PhD students and researchers
- Date: Friday, 28 January 2022, 09:00 am – 04:30 pm
- Where: Parkstraße 6, Global Café (Room 220), 18057 Rostock (In case current regulations won't allow a training in presence, we will relocate the training to zoom.)
- Intercultural trainer: Katja Striegler, Christin Zimmer (IQ Netzwerk Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)
- Language: English
- Participants: 6 to 16 PhD students, postdocs and guest researchers
- Participation fee: free of charge
- Sign up: until 21 January 2022 via welcome-centeruni-rostockde (subject: "Intercultural Training")
To successfully tackle the challenges of multicultural academic and professional life, PhD students and researchers have to be able to manage intercultural situations and emerging conflicts effectively. Developing the capacity to mediate differing cultural perspectives is a key determinant of intercultural competence.
Designed as an interactive workshop, the training will provide international PhD students and researchers of the University of Rostock with essential cross-cultural skills for building relationships and working effectively in a multicultural environment. Using hands-on exercises and simulation role-plays, participants will gain an understanding of values and attitudes in German academic life, identify and analyse their personal approaches to different intercultural challenges and increase their intercultural awareness and competence. The participants will have the opportunity to reflect on their own culture, discuss personal experiences, ask questions and exchange their views with the other participants.
- Culture and cultural differences with a focus on academic life
- Developing intercultural awareness and intercultural competence
- Adapting to a new culture
- Stereotypes and prejudice
- Values and attitudes in German academic life
- Communication styles and language issues
- Cross-cultural management skills
- Good practice for cross-cultural situations at university